At Alliant Energy we are implementing our strategic plan to create a more sustainable future for our customers and communities. Highlights of our recent progress in 2020 are provided below.
- Over 1,100 megawatts of coal already retired
- Additional 1,300 megawatts to retire by end of 2024
- Combined, this represents a reduction of nearly 70% from our 2005 coal footprint
- Completed our plan to add 1,150 megawatts of wind production – expanding our owned and operated regulated wind capacity to nearly 1,800 megawatts.
- Initiated plans to add nearly 1,500 megawatts of solar in Iowa and Wisconsin by the end of 2023 plus 100 megawatts of energy storage in Iowa by the end of 2026.
- Announced retirement of Columbia Energy Center, enabling Alliant Energy’s utility operations in Wisconsin to be coal-free by 2025.
- Advanced our integrated grid initiatives to build smarter and more resilient energy infrastructure – with plans for future investments of $2.1 billion through 2024.
- Announced a new goal to electrify 100% of our company-owned light-duty fleet vehicles by 2030.
- Achieved our air emissions targets one-year early by reducing mercury 96%, sulfur dioxide 92% and nitrogen oxides 85% from 2005 levels.
- Partnered to provide more than $8.7 million in community giving and 63,600 volunteer hours.
- Focused on COVID-19 actions and expanding our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion initiatives.
- Delivered on our company’s purpose to serve customers and build strong communities – read more in our latest sustainability stories below!
Strategic initiatives and environmental stewardship
Learn more about how we’re meeting customers’ energy needs and providing cost effective, sustainable benefits.